After my appointment with the Dr. on Tuesday, he said I was still 2 cm and 50% effaced and decided that I should check into the hospital that evening to have me take medication to soften my cervix. Then start the Pitocen (the medication to start the Induction) at 6:00 am Wednesday morning, planning on a delivery in the afternoon (with Marshall I had him 10 hours after a dose of Pitocen, but I was already 12 hours into Labor at the point that they started the medication to speed things along).
We checked into the hospital at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday night and they said I was already having contractions every 5 minutes, but I had not even noticed them. They gave me the medication to soften the cervix at 11:30 p.m. and an Ambien to help me sleep in anticipation of a long day of Labor ahead. But a few hours later, at 1:00 a.m., I woke-up out of my drug induced stupor to complain of Labor Pains and wanted some pain medication.
They gave me something in a pill form (can’t remember the name), and said I was 3 cm dilated. Around 3:45 a.m. the pain was unbearable and I asked for an epidural and they said I was 4 cm. About an hour later they checked me after the epidural because I was saying that it felt like I needed to push and I was 8.5 cm and it was time to call the doctor!
Dr. Greebon had told me in the office that he doing some sort of teaching surgery at Baylor Hospital in the morning and would check on me at 9:30 am. So I told the nurse that they had better call him before he went downtown (there was no way I was delivering to another on call Doctor). Sure enough Dr. Greebon got to the hospital at about 6:00 a.m. and I was ready to push at 6:45 a.m. Fourteen minutes later, Ms. Chloe came out into this world.
This experience was so much nicer than Marshall’s birth. It was fast, there was a whole team of people in the room to assist with the delivery (with Marshall it was just Chris, 1 nurse and I up until the moment he was born – this time we had 5 or 6 people in the room). It was also nice having my Doctor there. I also got to spend almost an hour with Chloe after the delivery (with Marshall the nurse was impatient and only gave me 20 min to nurse him). She probably would have stayed longer but I started to have some clotting and nausea (the clotting and contractions were so much worse, lasted longer and more painful than with Marshall, but I am doing better now).
Thursday, September 18, 2008
It's Time To Deliver
Posted by Jane Loomis at 5:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment